Pages

Friday 23 October 2015

Why Game Development, Oli?

The power of entertainment media astounds me. The fact that a person can get completely immersed in a new world, be it digital, or in your own mind (induced by the written word) is amazing.

One of the reasons I became focused on game development is because when I was having a difficult time, I was constantly looking for ways to lose myself, and entertainment media helped me so much. I could forget all about any problems I was having, I could be someone else, I was someone else: A hero, a villain, a lovable rogue (depending on which game I was playing).
Video games became one of my main escapes. I think a lot of people underestimate just how much video games in particular can help a person who needs an outlet. Sure, TV shows and movies can help with escapism as well (LOST will forever hold a special place in my heart), but there's just something so personal with gaming. You are involved, interacting, and in some cases; actually shaping the world, rather than simply watching things play out with no input from yourself.
Anyway, back to my point, I'm focused on game development because I would love the opportunity to make a video game that helps people who need that escape, who need to forget themselves for a time. Not a game specifically made for such a purpose, perhaps, but as long as something that I worked on helps someone feel better, even if it's just for a while, it'll be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment